Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Please and Thank You

When I was thinking about songs that I wanted to write for a children's CD, I knew I wanted to include one that had "please and thank you."   Learning to use our manners is something that is so important, and it's music to any parent's (or teacher's) ear when little ones say, "please" and "thank you."    When I was a childcare director years ago, I remember a sweet little boy named Charlie who started every conversation he had with, "Excuse me....."   It was so endearing!

Within the lyrics of the song, there is one line that goes, "They are words that are nice to hear, every day of the year."   That line was inspired by my soon to be 5-year old son, Jacob.   He sings a song in his Pre-K classroom about the months of the year, and is always running around our house singing, "These are the months of the year.... fill them with joy, and cheer, the months of the year!!"    I had to include a line about "every day of the year," in honor of the way Jacob sings his songs with such gusto!

This song was played during Music-n-Motion during the week of Thanksgiving, the day before the feast for all the families at the center.   It was perfect timing to tie this song into manners we use when we are at the dinner table.    "Thank you" for reading my post and I hope you enjoy!

Please and Thank You
By: Denise Forney

(Verse 1)
I like to use my manners
I use them every day
My mommy is so proud of me
Whenever she hears me say

(Chorus)
“Please and thank you!   Please and thank you!”
When I need something I say, “please”
“Please and thank you!   Please and thank you!”
Then “thank you” for helping me
They are words that are nice to hear every day of the year

(Verse 2)
My sister uses her manners
When she sits down to eat
My daddy always smiles at her
And tells her that she’s sweet….   When she says    (Chorus)

(Verse 3)
My brother uses his manners
Whenever he plays with toys
My mother always thanks him
For being a good little boy….   When he says    (Chorus)


No comments:

Post a Comment