Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Polka Dot, Plaid and Paisley


I am starting a blog today about the process of writing a children's musical CD.   I am very excited to take on this endeavor, as it's always been a lifelong dream of mine to write music and create something of value for others to enjoy.  

I am a mother of three beautiful children, Rachel (10), Kailtyn (7 1/2) and Jacob (5).  All three have attended Bright Horizon centers since they were babies.   I am blessed to have been a director at Uncle Sam's Federal Childcare Center when the girls were babies.   It was wonderful taking the children to work with me on a daily basis.   I have also been fortunate to provide music at the center over the past five years in an enrichment program called "Music-n-Motion."    All three of my children were able to participate in this program, and over 40 children in the center participate in these weekly classes I offer on Tuesdays.  

Maybe it's the nostalgia of my son's last year in Pre-K...  or maybe it's my longing to leave a legacy in my life where I can be long remembered after my days on earth or over...   but I am setting off on an adventure of creating a musical CD this year, called "Polka Dot, Plaid and Paisley."   I've been writing songs that are based upon my experiences teaching music at the center, and the lives of countless children who experience wonderful care in a Bright Horizons Center.    I will be posting about each song that is written, and I hope you enjoy this journey with me!

The first song is called, "Polka Dot, Plaid and Paisley."   It will also be the cover title of the CD.   This song was inspired by three beautiful little girls.   The first one being my 7 year old daughter, Kaitlyn.  


Kaitlyn has a very unique fashion sense and is not afraid to mix and match a variety of different styles to be "unique."  One day she managed to put together an outfit for school that had a combination of polka dot, plaid and paisley... thus the inspiration for this song.   The personalities that come through in the lyrics belong to two sweet little girls I've taught in Pre-K,  Audrey and Sari.  Both are bundles of energy that never stop, and pure joy to have in Music-n-Motion.    I hope you enjoy the lyrics to "Polka Dot, Plaid and Paisley."

Polka Dot, Plaid and Paisley
By:  Denise Forney

(Verse 1) I know a girl just three feet tall wears polka-dot, plaid and paisley
Picks out clothes all by herself - they’re polka-dot, plaid and paisley
She’s colorful as can be decked out from head to tippy toe
And oh that girl, I love her so –
She’s polka-dot, plaid and paisley

(Verse 2) She’s ready to go on her next adventure - polka-dot, plaid and paisley
Hanging from a star and you can’t quite catch her
Polka-dot, plaid and paisley
She can dance on air, spin around on top
Blow her balloon up til it POPS!
A bundle of energy that never stops,
She’s polka-dot, plaid and paisley

Polk, Polka-dot, Plaid, Polka-dot, Paisley --
Polk, Polka-dot, Plaid, Paisley

(Verse 3) She’s sugar and spice and everything nice – she’s polka-dot, plaid and paisley
Up early in the morning; sleeps late at night
She’s polka-dot, plaid and paisley
She bounces up and down, all around the room
She’s zippety-do-dah, flash, Ka-BOOM!
& my heart melts when she says, “I Love You!”
She’s polka-dot, plaid and paisley

Polk, Polka-dot, Plaid, Polka-dot, Paisley --
Polk, Polka-dot, Plaid, Paisley

No comments:

Post a Comment